Friday, February 22, 2008

White Sands

So Cpl D is heading to White Sands, NM at the end of March for a month, lucky him, and oh yeah, lucky me too. I get to be alone in Washington for a whole month. Now let's remember that I'm up here by myself, in a pretty unfamiliar place, with almost no friends (although the people I work with are pretty cool, so that does help a little) and I'm going to be alone. Lucky for me I have my great attack cats for protection. (Don't they look scary, intimidating and ready to fight off intruders!)


Now I know that I signed up for all the army stuff when I married Cpl D, in fact one of the many things I love about him is his commitment to his job and what he does. How can you not love that about him. But you have to remember that the past two months I have been going through some pretty horrible medical stuff and when someone asks me what is wrong and I tell them that I'm upset because Cpl D is leaving the day I have my consult for my next major test and the procedure (one which is pretty painful, and which I cannot drive to or from) is going to be while he is gone and all anyone can say in response is "Well you signed up for it." All that makes me want to do is punch you in the face. I'm not looking for sympathy, but you can be a little more understanding than that! I mean come on, my husband is going to be gone for a month, I'm going through a ton of medical issues right now, I have to have at least one pretty painful medical procedure, AND on top of that potentially surgery. Don't just say "Well you signed up for it"! Don't you think I know that!!! Or do you think I wasn't there on my wedding day when he was wearing his Class A uniform and looking so handsome I could hardly keep my hands to myself?!?


This is really our first major adventure with the Army, and one heck of an adventure it will be, we will be separated for the first time since he got home from Germany (at least this time we will only be 1 time zone apart), I will be living on my own again (the first time in over 6 months) in a very unfamiliar place, and I will have to go through medical testing without any family around which will be entirely new for me. If we survive this (and I know we will), then, as the saying goes, we will survive anything.

1 comment:

The Writer said...

Thinking of you...

Here's one of my favorite quotes:

"A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water."

-Eleanor Roosevelt