Sunday, March 20, 2011

Success

Every time I think of the word "success" I think of the movie "The Secret to My Success" with Michael J. Fox at the very end when the song plays "The Secret of My Success". I love that song and actually whenever I need to spell the word the song plays in my head because they spell it out.

What the hell am I talking about?!?

I was just wondering how you measure success? I have found over the past few years that my measuring stick has changed. I used to measure it based on my job, my income, where I lived, etc. etc.  That has all changed. I can't measure on most of those things anymore. My "job" is a stay at home mom, part-time photographer who isn't making any money, crafter/designer, and wife. I guess I can also add full-time student to that list as Toddler D teaches me something new every day.  So how do I measure success in my life? Am I successful because Toddler D can put a puzzle together by herself?  Am I successful because I designed her Easter basket entirely on my own? 

I know I am not a failure at life, but I wonder if I can describe myself as successful at life? Thinking of the different people in my life I would definitely have to say that my parents have been very successful. They both have jobs that they have grown in and they have a beautiful home and family.  Both of their kids are doing "okay" and they now have the freedom to travel the world which, when Sgt D isn't deployed, they do quite regularly with their traveling buddies. 

I think I can honestly say that some things I have been very successful at and other things I have, in the words of Sgt D, "Super Failed" at.  I can live with that. We learn from our failures and I am still learning from mine.  One things is for sure...Toddler D was more than a success, she was a Super Success!

2 comments:

Bright Angel said...

I agree completely!! And I sure do love your little "super success!!" Hooray for not having "average" children! :)

Ken said...

Looking for the LIKE button.