Tuesday, March 29, 2011

This Old House

I grew up in an old house. I am going to say it is probably around 80 years old...well that isn't being entirely fair. The addition to the house is probably closer to 21 or 22 years old. Not exactly young for a house.  I love my parents house. It has a lot of character. It has a completely finished attic, which when we originally went house hunting in 1992, my parents and I jokingly referred to as E's room (E is my older brother). Oddly enough he did end up living up there in his late teens - his choice.  It has two garages, a his and hers if you will and you can tell the which one is which!  When we moved in it had the UGLIEST wallpaper I had ever encountered in my life, it still holds the record 19 years later!  Mom and dad quickly tore it down and have since repainted the entire room.  It has a basement that has flooded at least once, a chimney that is literally strapped to the side of the house, and an awesome back yard with a spa (that mom and dad added when I was 15 - my high school friends loved parties at my house). 

Sgt D and I are building our own home. We got to pick everything, right down to the style and brand of our toilet. Can you imagine making those choices? If we got the colors wrong we are stuck with them for a very long long time!  We picked our fridge, our stove, our cabinets, the flooring, the counter tops, etc etc etc.  It was exhausting.  My parents even flew up one weekend to help us make some of the decision regarding electrical because neither Sgt D or I was qualified to make those choices on our own. Thanks mom and dad for always having our backs!  We are going to have a cookie cutter home, the only character our house is going to have is what we bring to the table. I cannot wait to move in and start bringing some of our character into the house!

Here is a little picture collage of our house from the day we put up the SOLD sign on our lot through today. As of this afternoon our house has a roof and windows. It is really starting to look like a house!

1 comment:

Ken said...

Yeah, you can tell mom's side. It is the one with the bras hanging on the line.