Thursday, July 15, 2010

He leads, She follows


Being married to someone in the military is like being a dancer I would imagine. The soldier (usually a guy) leads and the spouse follows. 
That in mind, I am not much of a dancer, my dance experience and moves pretty much haven’t developed past middle school when you had your hands around your dates neck, he had his hands on your hips and you simply swayed back and forth.  The army though requires much more skill in their dances. They require you to be able to spin, twirl, do ballet leaps, sometimes dance on your toes, etc.  They also demand that you be able to switch styles mid routine.  In other words once you finally have the Cha Cha down you have to switch to Contemporary, and once you have that routine down, they suddenly switch the song to rap and you have to Crump. 
That is what it is like for a military family. The song is constantly changing and there is not always time to discuss what move you are going to do next. You may have your heart set on a simple lift and he decides to spin you across the room on your toes instead.  You have to adjust and make it happen, while also making it look easy and being graceful.  Not the easiest thing in the world, but that is what military wives do, we make it look easy.  We hold our heads up, smile and adjust our steps to the beat of the newest music playing in the background. 
I am adjusting. I think until my soldier is back in my arms I will continue to adjust to the beat, and after he is home we will start practicing a new routine…that is until the army changes the song again.

(This post is dedicated to my soldier, I cannot wait for him to come home so we can dance together again - this long distance dancing is for the birds!)

No comments: