Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Good-bye snow, hello slushy rain

My snow day is over and with the exception of some very dirty snow and slush left behind, you would never know it was even here. It is currently raining an interesting combination of snow and rain, it rains for 20 or 30 minutes, then it snows for maybe 5. It is super cold outside and has made me cancel my planned workout for the day, the last thing I want to do is get out of my clothes, even if it is to simply put other clothes on. I am just too cold for any amount of undressing.

I am slowly beginning to realize that I am probably never going to adjust to the weather up here and I'm not going to adjust to the lack of light during the winter, so I have to find different ways to cope with my new surroundings in order to not be miserable for the next 22 months. For starters I am trying to focus on all the positives in my life and there really are so many to focus on, as I am a very lucky and blessed person. Secondly I am learning to do something I have always wanted to do, cook. I try new recipes every week, and some weeks, almost every other day, and for the most part they have all been very successful. The other thing I am doing is fixing things that remind me of home, like chicken stir fry and the baked biscuits and beans casserole dish my mom used to make. They are awesome comfort foods that really make me happy. Lastly I am trying to work on my overall health. The doctors want me to learn to control things like my posture and my heart rate, so I'm working on that as well. We'll see how it all goes.

I'm outta here, I have to go make dinner for Cpl D, tonight we are having Scallops based on a recipe out of my favorite cookbook, Better Homes & Gardens, Cooking for Two, copyright 1968.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Melissa,

Might I suggest you take a look at the fine cookbook "How To Cook Everything" by Mark Bittman. It's a book I have owned and loved for several years and I use it constantly.

Best,
WS

P.S. I am jealous of the snow you have gotten :-)