Friday, November 23, 2007

Black Friday

Yesterday was Spc D's and my first Thanksgiving together, and we have so much to be thankful for. Even though it was just the two of us, we decided that we were going to make the best of the day and cooked a full dinner (and boy do we have leftovers!). We made everything from scratch and it all turned out amazing!

Starting at the gravy boat (full of brandy & apple cider gravy) and moving clockwise, we made Turkey with a sage & bay leaf infused paste, mashed sweet potatoes and parsnips, an almond and raspberry tea cake for desert, creamed corn (my favorite), and enough stuffing to feed a small army.

We had so much fun yesterday cooking together, it was a new experience for both of us, and definitely the first time Spc D had ever helped cook for a holiday. It is a good thing that he did help too, or we would have only had sides as I have a weird little issues when it comes to raw poultry, I HATE touching it! It is weird, and I know that I need to get over it, but for some reason...it just grosses me out to no end. I need to just take my mom's advice and get myself some disposable latex-free kitchen gloves, and one day I will, in the meantime, I like have Spc D in the kitchen helping me.

For Black Friday, we had a very relaxing day. Spc D let me sleep in until almost 11 o'clock am, which is very unlike me, I haven't slept that late in a really long time, but I guess I needed it. While I slept he was very dutiful and worked on his army correspondence courses, completing yet another. I am so proud of him for working so hard on this, that shows just how much he wants his SGT. After I finally got up and we got ready for the day, we decided to blow of breakfast and had a nice quiet lunch, then we headed to post to look for a media tower for our DVDs. Unfortunately, due to the fact that we got so late, they were already sold out of the one we wanted, oh well... We also found out that there were 8 people ahead of us to order the bed we want, and only 5 came in, the next batch aren't going to get here for another four weeks, and by then we will be in New Mexico for x-mas...I'm beginning to think that the couches are going to be our permanent beds! We are staying positive though and hoping that the 8 people in front of us, got tired of waiting and purchased other beds somewhere else, and that we can have on of the 5 that came in, so keep your fingers crossed.

Tonight we went and saw "Enchanted". Spc D says it may very well be the most girly movie that he has ever seen. He also said that it was hilarious, and let me tell you, I couldn't stop smiling when we left the theatre. It is so darn funny. What really helps the movie is that Dr. McDreamy is in it from Grey's Anatomy. This really is a Disney movie that is actually more for adults than kids, as I am pretty sure (and definitely hopeful) that my niece and nephew would not get all of the humor in the movie, and it would certainly drive my dad nuts with all the cockroaches and rats in the film...but that is another story and you really should see this one for yourself!

That's all for me...Spc D and I are going to do a little reading and then watch a movie and play scrabble. Tomorrow we are going to try to get to Mount Rainier, but it looks like rain here, which means snow there. If we get there, I promise to return with some awesome pictures!

No comments: