Sunday, November 25, 2007

Optical Illusion...Mt. Rainier

Yesterday Spc D and I finally made the drive to Mount Rainier, and can I just tell you, from post it looks like it is only 20 miles away, when in fact it is a 2 hour drive (mainly because all the roads have a speed limit of 50 miles per hour or less). We got up around 9 in the morning (later than we intended, but we didn't bother to set an alarm...oh well), and started our day by layering on the clothes. We got in the car, plugged in the iPod and started our journey. When we finally got to the park entrance we were already seeing the tiniest sprinkling of snow on the ground, and for this California girl that is always a treat. It was at least another half hour of driving before we got our first glimpse of the peak itself.


It was a bit covered in clouds when we first got there, but we decided to keep driving up to the Paradise visitors center and observatory. By the time we finished our lunch, the sun came out and we had an amazing view of not only the peak itself, but a second mountain range that we had never seen from post.


The coolest part of the day though, had to be on our drive out of the park when I actually had Spc D turn around on the road because I saw this amazing view of the Mt. Rainier at sunset. What made this especially cool is that on our way up we passed the same spot and didn't even know you could see the mountain from there. We stopped and took a few final pictures.

Today though...Spc D made me the happiest woman in the world, he let me buy a new bed! It is being delivered on Tuesday, and I cannot wait for it's arrival as I am sick and tired of our couches as beds!
PS. After three games of bowling today, I finally managed to beat the socks off him in our final game today!!! I actually broke 120 points (which is a first for me!).





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great photos of Mt. Rainier!